Friday, January 14, 2011

Quality Time

Back in high school, I was the oddball in my group of friends: I did not want kids. Period. Ever. I was already focused on what career I would have, and while I did dream about what kind of guy I would marry, I didn’t ever see kids in the picture I had of my future. I wasn’t what one would consider “maternal.” I didn’t babysit as much as my friends did, I didn’t go gaga over babies like they did. I was, quite frankly, awkward and uncomfortable around young children. I was convinced having kids of my own was just not in my makeup.

All of that changed when Kenny and I started dating. I knew fairly soon into our relationship that we would raise a family together. I’m not sure how I knew it; I just did. I could see it. And I became excited about the prospect.

So while my life now is nothing like I pictured it back when I was in high school, I wouldn’t change it. I may have a master’s degree, I don’t have much of a career right now, but what I do have is a beautiful little boy.

I’m actually kind of proud of how fast I picked up on this motherhood thing. I went from knowing practically nothing (it’s true: ask my friend Karen how much I picked her brain when I was pregnant on how to raise a kid!) to figuring things out as I go and continually learning along the way. You’re sort of forced to learn quickly with a firstborn child; you ain’t got no other choice!

And you know what? It’s not always easy, but everything works out in the end. Even if you make a mistake, you just try another way. And I know as long as I continue to feel the overwhelming and unconditional love that I have for this little creature I helped to bring into this world, all is well.

Being able to stay home and have so much quality time with Riley has been wonderful, and I hope I can continue it for a long time. Otherwise, I would miss out on many special moments like these:

IMG_8108

IMG_8113 IMG_8198 

IMG_8205

Even though you really didn’t have a choice, I still thank you, Riley, for letting me be your mom. I love you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Motherhood is quite rewarding! This is a very sweet post Courtney.
Lynne

Aunt Dawn #1 said... Best Blogger Tips

Children enrich your life in more ways that you can imagine, and I know you are seeing that more and more each day.

Nola said... Best Blogger Tips

And I am so proud of you for jumping right into motherhood so well and so completely.......but then I never had any doubt that you would be anything but THE best mother.

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

Maybe you're right ... maybe I should have a baby ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...