Friday, January 21, 2011

The Booger Story

The story I am about to tell you has been recounted (gleefully, I might add) numerous times by my relatives. It was even told at my wedding rehearsal dinner (thanks very much for that, UJ). So, since a lot of people have already heard it and since it doesn’t really embarrass me anymore, I figured I’d share it with the rest of you.

When I was very young (a mere two years old), I spent the night away from home for the first time at my aunt and uncle’s (QP and UJ’s) house. I was snuggled in between them in their bed, watching a little TV before going to sleep. Unbeknownst to me, all of a sudden my aunt reached behind me and poked my uncle in the arm to get his attention. She pointed down at me to get him to look at what I was doing.

What I was doing with intense concentration.

My finger was most of the way up one of my nostrils, and I was going to town, steadfastly digging around for something.

My aunt, holding back laughter, calmly asked me, “Courtney, what are you doing?”

To which I very matter-of-factly replied, “I’m TRYING to get this booger.”

My aunt and uncle do not have children. Kids were never part of their plan. I was their first introduction to the world of small humans. So I can only imagine what they thought of this little situation at the time. I’m pretty sure they took it in stride and got a few good laughs from it. I also know that they weren’t afraid to have me spend the night again, boogers notwithstanding. Their house became a favorite overnight spot for my brother and me as we were growing up. But I’ll bet QP and UJ will never forget that first night with just me, before my brother came along.

I have a way with creating memorable moments. It’s a gift.

IMG_8284

However, I’m a little afraid that Riley is destined to inherit this childhood habit of mine. Kids learn by association, right? I thought so: I’m already picking boogers out of his nose for him. Constantly. But don’t all mothers do that at one time or another? Isn’t it listed in our job description?

No?

Really?

Are you sure?

Either way, I’m already starting to wonder if a similar situation will come to pass when Riley spends the night with HIS aunt and uncle for the first time.

Aunt Erin….Uncle Jeff….are you ready for that? :)

Happy Friday everyone!

5 comments:

NOPSI said... Best Blogger Tips

Love that you are passing on traditions. Can never wait for the next enthralling episode in The Life of Riley....(been waiting some time to say that). NOPSI

Nola said... Best Blogger Tips

You have a gift all right...for making the gross seem even more gross. I do not remember picking boogers out of your nose. However, give me that bulb syringe and watch out!!!!!!!!

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

OK. Here goes. You were and are a darling child to your UJ and QP ( after all, our names came only after the PC was christened) and we have cherished every booger moment with you. AND Jefferson. So. When will we get the "Stand By Me" post??

Nola said... Best Blogger Tips

I HOPE that Uncle Jeff and Aunt Erin will never irresponsibly let young, innocent, impressionable Riley watch an "R" rated movie, with HORRIBLE language every other word, when he sleeps over.

UJ2 said... Best Blogger Tips

I make no promises. It is what we are here for. I do, however, promise to never say "shit" in front of Riley...on purpose.

Can't wait until Riley's first night here so we can enjoy his determined excavations.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...