Friday, April 1, 2011

Meeting Monkey

When I was little I had a lot of stuffed animals, but I did have a favorite: a little stuffed raccoon named Rocky. He went everywhere with me. I even thought I had lost him once and was devastated, until my parents bought me another one. (Then we found the original Rocky so I ended up with two.)

This makes me wonder if Riley will develop an attachment to a particular stuffed toy. He has received so many wonderful plush gifts from lots of different people, and now that he’s old enough I’m starting to introduce him to his new friends.

The other day I pulled out a cute stuffed monkey that his cousin Zac picked out when Riley was just a few weeks old and plopped it on the floor in front of him. I’d say the first meeting went quite well.

IMG_9813

IMG_9815 IMG_9816

IMG_9814

IMG_9817

Monkey, along with a very soft little black bear my parents got for Riley last summer in Alaska, now resides permanently in his crib. He also has a bunny, a leopard, a cat, and a dog perched on the back rail of his crib, as well as a teddy bear, a tiger, and another monkey on his dresser, all keeping watch over him as he sleeps.

I wonder if any of those will become his Rocky. I hope so!

I found him like this on Monday during one of his naps, using Monkey as a pillow, with the black bear not far away. I’m so glad I peeked in and saw this. So sweet.

photo

4 comments:

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

What a sweet post. If the monkey becomes Rocky, I wonder what his name will be. I do remember Rocky being dragged everywhere but especially having to be in bed with you every night. I don't do a raccoon impression, though.

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

And come to think of it, Rocky's main charm for you was that red ribbon around his neck. Do you remember that??

Nola said... Best Blogger Tips

Yes, that red ribbon that you would rub between your fingers and under your nose. I'll never forget. And remember who gave you the original Rocky? Aunt Evelyn. She'd be delighted to know what a part of your life he's been.

Dad's right...even though I treasured Riley when he was younger and totally helpless, it IS so much fun to watch his reaction to things. It's fascinating to see his personality develop and emerge.

QP's right...it's a sweet pose, esp. the sleeping picture. Sigh.

Cheryl said... Best Blogger Tips

The 3rd photo is priceless. Monkey seems to be the same size as him. He probably "thinks" he's a friend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...