Thursday, May 19, 2011

Still Proud

Kenny got a job.

He went on half a dozen interviews, got offers from most of those companies, accepted a position on Friday, April 29, and started his new gig that next Monday.

I am still so very proud of him. I already knew he is good at what he does, but this process also proved to me that he is incredibly well-respected in his industry, for his knowledge, for his talent, for his work ethic, and for his personal character. To go on multiple interviews and to have offers come out of most of them is so impressive. I commend (and love) you, Kenneth Scott.

In other news, our house was only on the market for six short days before it was under contract. I still can’t believe it. I actually got the news the night I was at Corks N Canvas, so you can imagine how hard it was for me to concentrate on my painting after finding out there was a good chance we had just sold our house.

Even though I do love my house and hate to let go of it, I had visions of it sitting on the market for months and months and then getting frustrated that we couldn’t move forward with our new life in New Orleans. Fortunately, that doesn’t seem likely, even though it’s not a completely done deal just yet.

IMG_0219 IMG_0222

We have gotten through the inspection and appraisal periods with only a few small headaches, and we are set to close on May 31, if all goes well with the buyers’ financing. My biggest hope is that the family buying our house will grow to love it as much as we did. And I also sincerely hope that we find another house here in New Orleans that we will love even more than our first.

As we have gone through this process of selling, I am beginning to distance myself from the life I lead before our decision to move. However, our last night in the house, just the three of us, will always hold a special place in my heart. I got teary that night four weeks ago, and I am getting teary again just thinking about it.

We went for our last family walk around our neighborhood:

IMG_0241 IMG_0246

We of course spent lots of time outside in our backyard:

IMG_0251

IMG_0253 IMG_0255

IMG_0266

IMG_0269 IMG_0274

We even gave Riley his fourth haircut outside that afternoon (not nearly as easy to do now):

IMG_0247 IMG_0248

Then it was time to come inside and get Riley ready for bed, on his last night sleeping in his very first room of his own:

IMG_0280 IMG_0282

IMG_0286

I am grateful that Kenny took charge of the bedtime routine this night as I was very much trying to keep my emotions in check. (And take photos.) After Riley went to bed, the two of us had a normal night, eating dinner and relaxing on our couch in front of tv with a bottle of wine. The next day we made our initial move to New Orleans. Riley and I haven’t been back to the house since.

IMG_0291b

I haven’t seen the “For Sale” sign up in our front yard:

IMG_0846_edited

The next time I go back it will be to pack everything up to move out.

A daunting job, for sure.

But I’ll be okay.

And Riley will be okay, too. I took this video during the last week we spent at home. I’d like to think he’s looking around, taking it all in and committing it to memory.

From the way he’s smiling, I’d also like to think that he approved of his first home very much.

3 comments:

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

What a sad yet sweet post! You'll find another house to love, I promise! Look at me! I found THREE!
Especially love the photos of him, and him and his dad silhouetted in the doorway.

Jackie said... Best Blogger Tips

So so so proud of Kenny and of course you. Look at all you accomplished in that first little house & remember it fondly because it gave you the base for all that you're about to accomplish in your next phase. Love you guys!

Kenny said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks baby!!! You're VERY sweet and I love you very much. But I couldn't have done it without you, so I'm very proud of your strength through this process. We'll find something new that we love just as much, but will always remember the good times of the past and Riley's first home. Thanks for all your support as I certainyl couldn't do it by myself. LOVE!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...