Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Snowball

I love snowballs. No, I’m not talking about the ones you throw at people in the winter in places where snow actually falls from the sky. I’m not talking about snow cones, either. I’m talking about the snowball that can only call New Orleans its home. The ones with the fluffy and perfectly shaved ice with rich, sugary syrup soaking into it.

I remember one summer when I would get a snowball practically every night. I’m boring and always get the same kind: chocolate with condensed milk on top. Yum.

That’s another good thing about moving back to New Orleans: a good snowball is never too far away.

Our North Carolina friends Jennifer and Elisabeth were in town for a few days last week, and I was only too happy to indulge Eli’s request for a snowball the first afternoon they were here. I actually couldn’t believe I had been in New Orleans a whole week and still hadn’t gotten one. So while Jennifer and Riley played on their cell phones, Elisabeth, Erin, and I went to get our treats.

IMG_0863

When we returned, my mother somehow convinced me to give Riley his first taste of a snowball. I mean, he did have the perfect bib on for the occasion:

IMG_0866

I elected not to let him try my usual but instead gave him a little bit of Elisabeth’s watermelon one.

IMG_0865

IMG_0869

From the way he was eyeing Elisabeth’s white styrofoam cup after I handed it back to her, I’d say he might be hooked on this particular New Orleans tradition.

IMG_0871

Much like my hope that he will foster a great love of books, I will have no problem if he becomes a fan of snowballs.

My waistline may rebel at some point, but at least snowballs are cheap!

4 comments:

Jackie said... Best Blogger Tips

As soon as I read the title I knew the exact flavors that both you (chocolate w/ condensed milk) and Kenny (nectar w/ condensed milk) get hahaha!! This is a tradition I also enjoy keeping when I come to NOLA. =)

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

And to think I wasted all those years on wild cherry until I too discovered chocolate. Although I guess you can't really consider wild cherry a waste ...

AD#1 said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, YUM!! One of the many things I miss about home and a fondly recalled childhood (teenage-hood) memory!! Gotta come visit during the summer some time!! (love the pic with the cell phones!)

Margaret said... Best Blogger Tips

Wish I was there!
We NEED to get one this summer!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...