Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Tree (and finally coming home)

Wow, does it feel good to be home. The three of us were in New Orleans for two weeks (with the exception of Kenny and I coming back home for a couple of nights for the wedding), and while we did have a great time, it’s awfully nice to be back in our own house.

We came back on Sunday, unloaded the car, and headed back out a couple of hours later to get a Christmas tree. I debated back and forth for a long time about getting a tree this year. We’re never able to get it when I would like to (the day after Thanksgiving) because Kenny always has to work in New Orleans that whole next week. I was also dreading the work it involves (although most of that really does fall on Kenny, not me, and he has done said work without complaint for many years) and having to do it while worrying about a three month old. And then there’s the whole process of taking the tree down at the end of the season.

Good lord, do I sound like a Scrooge!

In the end, as I knew I would, I decided we had to get one. It is Riley’s first Christmas, after all! Plus, I love the special Christmas ambiance it brings into my house for four weeks. There’s nothing like it.

We only had to go to two places before we found a tree that we liked. It’s smaller than what we usually get (7’ instead of 9’) and a different variety (Noble fir instead of Fraser fir), but it has a perfect shape. (I later found out that its branches are not quite up to the task of holding all of my ornaments, but I made it work.) Riley slept in my arms during the whole picking-of-a-tree escapade, which was just fine. At least he was sporting his cute little red Santa hat.

IMG_0653 IMG_0660

We didn’t get around to decorating the tree until the next night since there was still so much to unpack and put away from our time in New Orleans. But of course the first ornament we had to put up (after Kenny got the lights on) was one of Riley’s! (Thanks again, Joan, for his adorable personalized giraffe ornament. So cute.) He wasn’t quite sure what to do (I think he just wanted to look at the lights), but I helped him find the perfect spot for it.

IMG_0671

IMG_0677

IMG_0672

One day soon we’ll get a family picture in front of our cute little tree. And, I mailed our Christmas cards out yesterday, so look for the big reveal sometime next week! My apologies to those who won’t receive one; I’d go broke if I sent a card to everyone I know, and then Kenny would be upset that I spent all of our money, and then the holiday season would be no fun. So hopefully the non-recipients of the actual card can enjoy it here. At least I hope you will!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...