Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Filthy Dirty

I’ve never been what one would call a girly-girl, but I’m not sure I was completely prepared to have a son that is ALL boy…..

A couple of weeks ago, Kenny and I decided to commence tackling one of the bigger projects at the new house: the front garden. Well, Kenny actually started on it while I watched. That’s one of the advantages of being pregnant; I can’t really help! Although I do feel bad that everything falls on Kenny because of this, I also remember back to when we completely re-did all of the front gardens at our house in Lafayette. I was sore for days, and I certainly won’t miss that. Luckily, though, Kenny had help from Riley-bean.

IMG_6273

The first main task was to get rid of the six big bushes in the center parts of the garden, which left a big open space of dirt once the first couple were out. Riley almost didn’t know what to do with himself. However, he quickly recovered and tramped through the dirt all morning, picking up leaves and sticks and roots and rocks. You know, helping.

IMG_6274 IMG_6276

But oh my goodness was he filthy dirty when it was time to go inside for lunch. He had smears of dirt everywhere, and when I pulled off his shoes (which were caked in mud) I discovered his socks had been virtually stained black.

IMG_6278 IMG_6281IMG_6285 IMG_6287

Ah, the face only a mother could love.

IMG_6275

On Sunday, Kenny finally had some time to finish working on pulling all of the old plants out to make room for the new ones we’ll eventually buy. It was an absolutely beautiful day, sunny and cool, the perfect weather to be outside.

IMG_6306

And, once again, Riley was a big help to his daddy…..

IMG_6299

IMG_6315 IMG_6317

….although he just may have gotten more dirt on himself (including in his hair, ears, and nose) than he left in the garden. However, as you saw yesterday, this was a direct result of the boy rolling in the empty garden. Wonk potatoes.

IMG_6303

IMG_6302 IMG_6318

IMG_6312

IMG_6319 IMG_6321

And then Kenny found something else to dirty up Riley’s hands: an earthworm.

IMG_6324

Kenny actually uncovered lots of worms underneath the grasses he was digging up, and Riley had no qualms whatsoever about picking them up. He always returned them to a clear spot in the garden and then got down on his hands and knees to watch them burrow back into the earth. Such a curious one, my Riley-bean.

IMG_6326

And, like I said, ALL. BOY.

IMG_6323

We had to strip Riley down and give him a quick bath before feeding him lunch because he was so dirty, but I’m glad he enjoyed his morning of garden exploration. And, huge thanks to Kenny for working so hard on this project by yourself…..I appreciate it greatly. I know the gardens are going to look so much better once they’re finished, and it will be all because of you.

4 comments:

rileybeanfollower985 said... Best Blogger Tips

The boys look like they had fun!! Earthworms = good soil! Anxiously awaiting the BIG REVEAL....(both the gardens and Sprout!)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Just like I saaid before-- NOW that's a real BOY- Hugs, Grams And I love hime lots.

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

That first shot of him holding the earthworm is priceless.

M'ville said... Best Blogger Tips

Kudos to you "Mom" for letting your boy be all boy. What a great education he had that day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...