Friday, August 3, 2012

Trepidation, Excitement, Nervousness, and Joy {Big Announcement}

It is with all of those things that Kenny and I announce the forthcoming arrival of our second child, due on March 16 of next year. Yes, the rumors are true: I am pregnant!

I went to my doctor on a Monday morning (July 9) to have blood drawn to confirm the pregnancy. As I was riding the elevator up to the office, my stomach was a knot of nerves. I had taken a test at home the Friday before, and even though that little second line was faint, I was still pretty sure of the result. But the butterflies came on strong and unexpectedly as soon as I stepped into the elevator.

I guess I was nervous thinking about the change this would mean for our lives. Will the pregnancy progress like it should? Will our second child be healthy? A girl or a boy? As cute as Riley-bean? As cool as Riley-bean? Let’s face it: this kid will have a lot to live up to.

Will I be able to handle having a two-and-a-half-year-old and a newborn at the same time? How will Riley react to his new sibling? Will I be able to transform our daily routine to include both kids’ schedules and needs? Which bedroom will we turn into the nursery? Will we move Riley to a twin bed right away or let him stay in his crib for a little while longer? Will I remember how to handle a newborn and everything that comes with one, like constant diaper changes, 2am feedings, and that potential dreaded witching hour every day?

There are so many unknowns. But then I remember all of the wonderful things about a new baby, like that sweet newborn smell, snuggling whenever I want to, the first smile, coo, and laugh, and so many others. I know I can do this. It’s just going to take me a little while to get used to the idea of having four people in the house instead of three. Then again, it took a while for me to get used to having Riley around, too. And now I can’t imagine life without him.

We are excited about adding another member to our little family. I plan to document this pregnancy much like I did for Riley-bean, with some side-by-side comparisons thrown in just for fun. (I wonder if I’ll have crazy dreams again!) And Kenny came up with our nickname for the baby this time around, which actually goes pretty well with Bean: Sprout!

I went back to my doctor (Dr. S) on Thursday, August 2 for my first ultrasound, and Kenny came with me. My blood pressure is normal (120/68) and Sprout’s heartrate is around 148. We got to hear the heartbeat and see the tiny little mass that is slowly developing into a baby. And, like I said the first time, technology is still just so cool. We didn’t talk to Dr. S all that long, mostly because there’s not much to talk about this early. She did say that some cramping and spotting right now are very normal and nothing to worry about. And she told me to drink plenty of water and to make sure to take my vitamin every day. Not a problem!

IMG_5937-1

I am about eight weeks along, and the only major symptoms I’m experiencing so far are fatigue and some soreness in my chest area. The fatigue started early, and it’s especially challenging in the afternoons after Riley is up from his nap. But the good news is that none of the little issues I had in the beginning of my first pregnancy are present this time around. So it really is true that every pregnancy is different.

I know things will only get more difficult as I progress, so I may not be posting quite as much as I usually do. I’ll do my best, but some days Mama may need a nap instead. In the meantime, I’m just resting when I can, eating like I should, and soaking up lots of time with my boy while he’s still an only child.

Two kids. I’ll have two kids in less than a year. Wow.

I’m glad y’all will be on this journey with Kenny and me. It actually helps to know there are people out there following along, so I thank y’all for that. And keep the comments coming!

So without further adieu, let the wild ride begin!

6 comments:

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

So, so proud and happy for you both!
You're going to be great parents of two!

Nola said... Best Blogger Tips

You will figure it all out and do it beautifully with two kids, as you have done with one. And we're here for you whenever you need us; you know that.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the new name! Sprout rocks!! :)
Congrats love! I am so excited for you!!

YAYYYYYY
Love, LPb

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

grams is so proud of you and Kenny. I'll see another g.g.child - AND you still are the best parents ever. Hugs, Grams

Jackie said... Best Blogger Tips

YAYYYYYYYY!!! LOVE IT!! So happy for you friend!

M'ville said... Best Blogger Tips

WooHoo!! Fabulously exciting. As for all the questions - you'll answer them confidently as they present themselves - just as you have so well with Riley. You can relax and enjoy the journey.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...