Monday, July 11, 2011

Video Monday: Mac and Cheese Mayhem

The following occurred on the afternoon of June 29, when I decided to give Riley some leftover macaroni and cheese and pieces of vienna sausage for his lunch.

I started out offering it to him with one of his spoons, but he wasn’t having any of that. So I then switched to my fingers, which worked only for a bite or two.

IMG_0931

Then I decided I would let him try to feed himself.

Thus began the mayhem. And the mess.

IMG_0939 IMG_0942 IMG_0943

Oh, the mess.

IMG_0944

Needless to say, he had more fun playing with it than actually eating it (he got an emergency bath after I declared “lunch” over). He didn’t seem to like the pasta at all, which blew my mind. What kid doesn’t like mac and cheese!

I did give it a whirl in the food processor first, but he seems to like things in bigger pieces. I’ll have to try again without the noodles pureed so much.

He is getting better with feeding himself, though. I have almost completely gotten him off of the baby food and am now giving him bite-sized pieces of different foods (chicken, cheese, fruit, etc.) for his lunch and dinner. And he still loves his daily yogurt.

I’m trying not to get too frustrated with him because I know he’s still learning, but he’ll usually only eat a few pieces before he starts to play with whatever’s on his tray. So then I take over the finger-feeding and get him to eat a few more bites that way. But then he completely loses interest and starts to push food out of his mouth, grab it with his fingers, and inspect it, like it’s suddenly not good enough for him.

Like, I said I’m trying not to get too frustrated with him.

That is proving to be quite the challenge.

Happy Monday!

4 comments:

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, man. Reminiscent of the first rice cereal. O especially like the mac and cheese booger.

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, man. Reminiscent of the first rice cereal. I especially like the mac and cheese booger.

Uncle Jeff said... Best Blogger Tips

Riley will soon learn just how delicious Mac and Cheese is. And bacon. When can you give him bacon? Let's set a date when Uncle Jeff can feed him his first taste of bacon.

And thanks mom for the "Touchdown LSU." Though random, it reminded me just how much I want football again.

Nola said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm so glad I was there for that moment...minus the "Touchdown LSU" of course. Sorry about that; did not know you were recording. Now preserved for posterity. Damn. Thanks for the comment, Jeff. Of COURSE I was thinking that YOU wanted some LSU football when I said it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...