Friday, July 22, 2011

A Poem

I sat with him in his rocking chair.
I sat to give him a bottle before his afternoon nap.
I sat while he finished almost all of his milk.

I sat while he curled himself into my chest and closed his eyes.

I sat listening to the thunder of an approaching storm.
I sat listening to the whir of his white noise machine.
I sat listening to his breathing.

I sat listening.

I sat watching the trees moving outside his window.
I sat watching the numbers on his clock change.
I sat watching his chest rise and fall.

I sat watching.

I sat looking at the shadows on the ceiling.
I sat looking at his crib where I would eventually place him.
I sat looking at his eyelashes, his nose, his little mouth, his hand resting on my chest.

I sat looking.

I sat thinking of all the things I needed to get done.
I sat thinking how it was possible I helped make this beautiful child.
I sat thinking of how lucky I am.

I sat thinking.

I sat feeling his weight in my arms.
I sat feeling the touch of his skin on mine.
I sat feeling so much love for this little person.

I sat.

I sat, with him.

8 comments:

nola said... Best Blogger Tips

OK,I am BAWLING. This is an unbelievable, incredible tribute to motherhood. You've managed to capture the wonder and thrill of it all. It needs to be published. I am so proud of you, MY first-born.

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

Well, thanks for getting me teary first thing in the morning, PC.
Beautiful.
I hope the other Gay(e) in your life sees this. She would appreciate it.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

WOW Courtney!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Sorry, forgot to sign my name...Lynne

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

So, just a small quibble ( although isn't the very definition of 'quibble'the small?) Why no picture of your beautiful boy?

Erin said... Best Blogger Tips

WOW! Amazing. Such beautiful words that show such beautiful feelings.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Yes I wept also- My darling GRandchild has that oldtime feelings for your child. Yes, you couln'dt said our feelin g any better Hugs, Grams

Forsynthia Prissywig said... Best Blogger Tips

Your beautiful words have touched me so;
Lifted me up from my all time low.
And i just want to let you know,
that I loveth thee;
More than anyone could ever see.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...