Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Krewes of Orpheus and Rex {Mardi Gras 2016}

I collapsed into bed the night that Jackie left and slept hard. We had a ton of fun for four straight days, but it was exhausting. I wasn’t sure we would go to any more parades, but I did have a slight interest in seeing Orpheus on Monday night. I hadn’t seen it in years, and one of my favorite actors was hailing as the Grand Marshal this year: Nathan Fillion, who plays Richard Castle in Castle. And Harry Connick, Jr! But Kenny was at work and I was at home with the boys.

Enter Nola and Nopsi. They graciously agreed, at the very last minute, to keep Riley and Rory overnight so Kenny and I could go out to the parade. We walked up to St. Charles right as it was starting to pass in front of where Doug was standing with some friends of his. (Lizzie made him go out and enjoy some of her favorite holiday even though she was stuck in the hospital.) We made it just in time!

IMG_6263

IMG_6262

We saw a number of really pretty and impressive floats before my main event finally rolled up. Castle! He looked like he was having lots of fun. I didn’t catch anything from him, but I did get some pics. He’s so cute.

IMG_6266

IMG_6267

IMG_6268

Harry was right behind him in his own float. So cool to see him too.

IMG_6269

Orpheus’ signature float, Smokey Mary, was right after Harry. It’s a huge train. So neat! Lizzie’s friend Cynthia actually rides in Orpheus, and she scored a few Smokey Mary doubloons for her. They looked like huge poker chips.

IMG_6271

IMG_6276

We also caught a few moon pies. I’m not sure I had ever tasted one before, so I gave it a go. It wasn’t too bad!

20160208_195818

On our way back to the car, we ran into Dana’s twin Lynn. So random.

IMG_6282

There was one last parade in the cards for us this year. On Fat Tuesday morning, we picked Grandma up and headed out to the granddaddy of all of Mardi Gras: the Krewe of Rex. I debated just staying home and getting some cleaning and laundry done, but I am so glad I decided to go. I can’t remember the last time I attended Rex.

IMG_6289

IMG_6285

IMG_6292

It was cold, but it was beautiful out. And it was so easy for us to get down to the route. We parked right by Ocshner Baptist, one block from Napoleon and the virtual beginning of the parade. Plus there was a ramp leading up to the emergency room that Rory was stoked about. He ran up and down that ramp pushing his dump truck and made all of the adults nervous. He did end up falling, but it wasn’t too bad. He scraped his fingers but luckily an EMT rode up on his bike shortly after and gave us two bandaids. Crisis averted!

IMG_6284

The really cool thing about Rex is that each float has a signature bead to throw. There were 27 floats and we caught about half of the signature beads. Not too bad. And that was in addition to all of the other stuff we got. The boys had a great time, although Rory sat with me for a decent bit. Whether from the cold or from his injury, I don’t know, but I enjoyed snuggling with him!

IMG_6297

IMG_6299 IMG_6306

IMG_6309

After Rex, we watched some of the truck parades but left just before noon. The boys were done, so we went off in search of something to eat. We ended up at Copeland’s in Elmwood and had a great lunch. I especially loved Rory’s crazy hair.

IMG_6310

IMG_6320

And with that, our 2016 Mardi Gras season was officially over. It was the most I’ve done in a very long time, and I loved every second of it. I’m already anticipating Carnival 2017: Luke will be older and Lizzie and Doug’s twins will get to see their very first parades!

It’s gonna be so much fun.

1 comments:

Nola said... Best Blogger Tips

Three things: (1) Kenny has jackets on! Must have been REALLY cold. (2)Good to see Lynn, finally. Weird. (3)Loved seeing Castle and Harry. Lagnaippe: Your boys are just so damn cute.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...