Friday, August 2, 2013

The Cutest Little Ladybug {Kate’s First Birthday}

Last Saturday was Kate’s first birthday celebration. The party was at her house, and Erin did such a fantastic job with the ladybug theme. She of course turned to Pinterest for inspiration and incorporated so many cute ideas into all aspects of the party.

invite

ladybug1

DSC_3906

I had told Kenny earlier that morning that we needed to be on time since I’m Kate’s godmother. We decided to let Riley skip his nap and were on the road just before 2pm to Kate’s house.

DSC_3838 DSC_0340

I got a call from Jeff on the way asking where we were. I responded that I was sorry; I didn’t think we needed to be there right at 2, but we were almost there. He said, well that’s good but the party started at 1.

DSC_3912

I was mortified. Sure enough, I even had it in my calendar as starting at 1 but for some reason had it in my brain that it was for 2. Some godmother I am. So we walked in, slightly over an hour late, to a houseful of family and friends in full party mode. What a way to make an entrance. Geez.

DSC_3828

I apologized profusely to Erin and Jeff, wished my goddaughter a very Happy Birthday, and tried to relax and let it go. Riley made himself right at home, immediately dragging out the only truck in the house and zooming around with it. And Rory was passed off from person to person all afternoon, perfectly content and well-behaved.

DSC_0322

DSC_3830 IMG_2209

IMG_2169

DSC_3975 DSC_3833

I thanked my lucky stars that we didn’t miss Kate digging into her smash cake. She kept her cute hat on long enough for everyone to snap a few pics, we all sang “Happy Birthday” to her, and then Jeff and Erin stood back to see what she would do. She didn’t get quite as into her little cake as Riley did with his, but she accepted a few tastes and made some funny faces.

DSC_3854

DSC_3874

DSC_0369

ladybug2

 

DSC_3892

DSC_3896

After cake, we headed outside for the water activities portion of the party. Erin and Jeff set up a kiddie pool and a slip-n-slide for the kids to enjoy (as well as their birthday gift to Kate, a new swing set), and, luckily, the rain held off long enough for them to do so.

DSC_0411

ladybug3

DSC_3971

IMG_3024

Then it was back inside to open the birthday girl’s gifts. Most people had left by this time, but a few of us were still there to see what Kate got. I’m not sure who was more excited about the new toys, Kate or Erin…..both of them had been wanting some new stuff to occupy the ladybug during the day.

DSC_3995

DSC_4004

DSC_4010 DSC_3826

Riley, of course, wanted all of the presents for himself, even though they were clearly of a girly nature. We were able to distract him for a bit with the big ladybug balloon, and then he was nice enough to give the birthday girl a ride in her new car.

DSC_4000

DSC_4003

DSC_4007

DSC_4011

However, Riley ended up getting a present of his own. Cub was in town for the party and had brought along a special message and potty present from Car. Riley was so happy to see her on the iPad and loved the prize she picked out for him, a {loud and obnoxious but cool} little helicopter. Kenny and I didn’t really want him to have it since he had pooped in his pants three times that day, but we couldn’t really deny her thoughtfulness. Thanks, Car!

DSC_4014

IMG_2550 DSC_4020

It was a wonderful first birthday party for my sweet goddaughter. I can’t believe it’s been a whole year since I first met her. Happy Happy Birthday, Kate!

IMG_5919

DSC_0325

And before I know it, I’m going to be saying the very same thing about Rory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

That was a very precious blog- I really enjoyed it. Hugs, Grams

Aunt E said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the sweet blog post on my girl! I loved it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...