Thursday, March 28, 2013

First Doctor’s Appointments and First Bath

Since leaving the hospital, Rory has been to see Dr. N twice, once at one week old and once at two weeks old. Kenny and I both went to the first appointment last Thursday, and we chatted quite a bit with Dr. N about various things concerning Rory’s first few days at home with us (circumcision, breastfeeding, umbilical cord, sleep, fussiness, etc.).

IMG_7236

Suffice to say that Dr. N said he was doing just fine, especially since he weighed in over his birth weight, which she said is a bit unusual. He was 7 pounds at birth, 6 pounds 11 ounces at discharge, and 7 pounds 4 ounces at one week. He also gained a little in length, measuring 19.75 inches, up a quarter of an inch from his birth length. Our boy is a champ!

IMG_7237

His second appointment at two weeks went just as well. I took him yesterday while Riley was napping at Nola’s and Kenny was at work. He weighed 8 pounds and measured 20.5 inches long, and his head circumference was 14 inches. Wow! His circumcision is basically healed, and Dr. N pronounced the rest of him perfect. He goes back at two months for another check-up and his first round of shots.

IMG_1900 IMG_1902

I also talked with Dr. N about his umbilical cord since it has started to bleed onto his clothes a bit. She said that was normal and cleaned it really well with alcohol before we left, which we are to continue a couple of times a day. Kenny and I are just hoping that Rory’s cord isn’t as stubborn as Riley’s was. But until the blessed day comes when it’s gone, it’s sponge baths only for the little one.

DSC_1568

We gave him his first one last Friday night, and he actually did okay with it. We turned on the heater in his bathroom, laid him on a towel, and wiped him down with a warm washcloth.

DSC_1575 DSC_1576

The only part he didn’t really like was when I washed and rinsed his hair. But it had gotten really greasy-looking, so it had to be done. He doesn’t have quite as much hair as his brother did at this age, but I do wonder whether it will be as wonky!

DSC_1583

Ever since that first bath his skin has been peeling like crazy, which I remember happening with Riley. But it is still so unbelievably soft and smooth. I wish it would stay like that forever, but I know it won’t so I’m savoring it while I can.

DSC_1593

Kenny and I have also noticed that he has little notches in his ears, one on his right ear and two on his left ear. I’m not sure if they’re permanent, but they’re awfully cute!

DSC_1663

We’re so grateful and glad that the little screech monkey is doing so well. He does have his fussy moments but what else can we expect from someone so little and helpless? And even though I’m tired from having to care for a newborn again, I’m trying my best to cherish every moment with him while he’s young.

DSC_1654

IMG_1887 IMG_1896

I know firsthand just how fast time goes by…..

IMG_3631

…..it seems like just yesterday we only had that little wonk potatoes to love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

so tiny but oh how adorable. Hugs, Grams

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

Great post, PC. And so glad you pulled out one of my favorite pictures of Rileybean!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...