Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter in Houston

Kenny, Jeff, and I went to Houston on Thursday night to spend a long Easter weekend with my parents. We got there pretty late, so we had a laidback Good Friday morning and then all piled into cars for a trip to Houston Garden Center. Mom and Dad needed some plants, Kenny and I were looking for two big planters (the last piece of our master garden plan), and Jeff was looking to get ideas. The outing was successful for everyone, and as soon as Kenny can get the planters we bought filled and in place, I’ll post pics of our finished front gardens.

Afterwards we grabbed some lunch at a small little outdoor restaurant called Little Big’s. The only main dish they serve is sliders, and those little sandwiches (as well as their fries) were mighty tasty. Finish it all off with a chocolate milkshake and I had myself an unhealthy yet completely satisfying meal!

IMG_2542

Back at the house and very full from lunch, Mom and I sat in the backyard while the boys got the new plants into pots around the pool. It was just what the doctor ordered: a nice, relaxing afternoon. And we decided to continue our unhealthy eating streak and go out to Cyclone Anaya’s Mexican restaurant for dinner. Margaritas and wine for the non-pregnant people and good fish tacos for me. A win-win!

IMG_2543

Saturday started off wonderfully for Mom and me: we had massages booked that morning, which were followed by a great lunch at CPK and a little bit of shopping. The boys, meanwhile, headed off to visit two local breweries (St. Arnold and Southern Star). We all met back up at the house late in the afternoon and pitched in to make dinner. Fred, Claudie, and Aaron were in town and joined us for good food and a few games of Apples to Apples. Fun times!

IMG00011

Easter morning we went to the 9am service at Mom’s church and then to brunch at Backstreet Cafe. We sat outside on the patio in the gorgeous overcast and breezy weather. The highlight of the meal for me was the plate of little muffins and scones we got at the very beginning. I staked a claim on most of the blueberry ones and even had one leftover at the end of the meal. I decided I didn’t want to waste it, so I carried it out in the palm of my hand. When the manager saw me doing so, he offered to get me a to-go box full of the muffins. Did I turn him down? Absolutely not!

IMG_2545

Thanks, Mom and Dad, for having us…..we had a great time! Hope everyone had a great Easter!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...