Friday, February 8, 2013

Thor and Caesar {Mardi Gras 2013}

Riley’s first parade this Carnival season was Thor, which rolled in Metairie on the afternoon of January 27. He and I were both a little sick, but being out in the fresh air did us good. We had a fun time out on the parade route with some of our friends.

DSC_0192

DSC_0183 DSC_0181

Isn’t Riley’s Mardi Gras shirt so cute? My friend Colleen made it, and I really, really hope it still fits him next year!

DSC_0170

DSC_0179

DSC_0173

All of the kids had fun running around before the parade arrived. Grant was in rare form, as always. He cracks me up with his antics: he made sure to tell us to “keep back” from the street until the police blocked it from traffic completely. Safety first!

DSC_0185

DSC_0204

DSC_0194 DSC_0202

The parade finally arrived and Riley spent most of it perched on top of Kenny’s shoulders taking everything in. He’s getting better at waving to the riders for beads (sometimes shouting out “Happy Mister!”) but mostly he just enjoys the view.

DSC_0212

DSC_0200

DSC_0217

After a quick catch comparison with Landon, it was time to pack up and head home. Our boy was mighty happy with his loot: quite a few beads and a new black and gold football. First parade: done!

DSC_0220

thor1

DSC_0225

Then, last Saturday night we hit our second parade, also in Metairie: Caesar. We had a much bigger group for this one, and lots of us got out there early enough to eat a quick dinner before the parade started.

DSC_0231

DSC_0234 DSC_0248

DSC_0239

Aunt E and Uncle Jeff even stopped by with Baby Kate to say a quick hello. They decided she’s too young to truly enjoy a nighttime parade this year, so they took her home before the parade even started. But it’s fun to imagine her running around with her cousin Riley next year.

DSC_0265

Once again, Riley spent most of the parade with his daddy while I sat in the back in my comfy tailgating chair. Kenny certainly got a workout from lifting Riley onto and off of his shoulders all night.

DSC_0253

However, the floats were so gorgeous that I had to take my boy up to the front for a couple of them, even though he is supremely heavy and awkward for me to hold right now. We saw Woody, Sully, R2D2, Harry Potter, and many other hugely familiar characters from throughout recent movie history. I wish I had taken a picture of every float; that’s how well done they were.

DSC_0270 DSC_0272

DSC_0278

There was even a float with Mickey and the big ball on the front of it!

DSC_0290

We all really enjoyed the parade but Kenny and I agreed that it’s much easier to keep tabs on our rambunctious boy during the day. Luckily, the next one on our list is Thoth on Sunday morning. Our good friend Scott rides in it every year, so we’re looking forward to another fun parade day. Fingers crossed for good weather: no rain, please!

Have a wonderful {Mardi Gras} weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Nola said... Best Blogger Tips

1. I, too, hope Riley's tshirt still fits him next year since I paid for it!!!
2. Is that a SWEATER I see Kenny wearing with Steve in short sleeves??
3. I don't miss being on a Mardi Gras parade route at all.

Nola said... Best Blogger Tips

oh, and 4. I want the picture of my children and grandchildren at the parade. Priceless.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

They all look so cute with their outfits Gee next another one to take .. Hugs, Grams

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...