Saturday, September 18, 2010

Nola, will you move in with us? Please?

Back when I was pregnant, my mom offered to come stay with us whenever and for however long we wanted her to after Bean was born. She arrived on Tuesday morning of this week and left early today. Let me just say it was SO wonderful to have her here, and I’m already missing her tons! That extra pair of hands was so nice to have for four whole days. And Mom didn’t just help out with Riley…..she cooked dinner for us three times, cleaned the house, organized some things in Riley’s room, and helped me decorate for fall. Absolutely invaluable.

The first night she was here we had a delicious homemade taco salad, as well as wine for everyone (just one glass for me!), while we watched Glee (Kenny was thrilled). Riley was pretty well-behaved while we ate, and then Mom decided to cuddle with him on the couch for a little one-on-one conversation. He needs to learn to talk back, though!

IMG_3470 IMG_3473

The next morning Mom and I took Riley in his stroller for the first time on a walk around my neighborhood. We didn’t get out there until after 9am, so it was already pretty hot. Riley didn’t seem to mind the heat, though: he fell asleep shortly after we left my driveway and didn’t wake up until well after we got back home! Could this be a solution to evening fussiness? Kenny and I may have to try it out once it gets a little cooler.

IMG_3477

Wednesday afternoon was Riley’s audiologist appointment, and Mom came with me. After getting the good news that our boy can hear, I dropped the two of them off at the house and went back out to run some errands by myself. I was able to get a lot done, so thanks very much for that, Mom! Wednesday night was another great home-cooked meal. Kenny and I relaxed with Riley on the kitchen sofa while Mom made peanut chicken for dinner. We decided to actually eat in the dining room, so we plopped Riley in his bouncy and put him on the table with us. Perfect!

IMG_3482 IMG_3484

The highlight of Thursday for both Kenny and me was Mom insisting that we leave Riley with her and go out to dinner just the two of us. She didn’t have to tell us twice! We tried out a place we hadn’t been to before called Phares’, and we enjoyed our date night very much. Plus, we didn’t come home to a very fussy baby, which we had prepared ourselves for! Riley decided not to exhibit his usual cranky nighttime behavior and was an angel for his Nola. Kenny and I gave him a bath when we got home, and he went to bed fairly easily after his last feeding of the night. A win for everyone!

IMG_3494

Yesterday went by entirely too fast and before I knew it, we were finishing up our last dinner together and winding down for the night.  Mom fed Riley one last time, put him to bed, and then we said our goodbyes since she planned to get on the road back to Texas early this morning. Had she really been here for four whole days already???

IMG_3503

I cannot thank you enough for all that you did while you were here, Mom. I appreciate your help tremendously, and just know that you’re welcome to come back and stay with us anytime you want!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...