Friday, November 20, 2009

Early Thanksgiving and New Moon

Today was the Center’s Thanksgiving potluck luncheon, and both Gaye and Gabe said I had to come, even though I’m no longer working there. It was quite a diverse spread of food, and I, of course, contributed yin-yangs to the dessert table (thanks, Mom!). I did a fairly good job of controlling myself around the food, opting instead to save room for the real deal next week. However, everything I did try was delicious; there are some good cooks working at the Center! I even left with a new recipe to try out: broccoli cornbread, thanks to Joey, one of the awesome IT guys. It was great to see everyone again; I’m already anticipating another visit around Christmastime!

I had previously decided to see New Moon after I left the Center, so I headed to the closest theater and arrived in time to catch the 2:30pm showing. I must admit that I have jumped on the Twilight bandwagon, although not as thoroughly as others. I really enjoyed reading the series, and the first movie (which I actually saw before picking up any of the books) was better than I expected. It’s hard not to get caught up in the whole Edward-Rob/Bella-Kristen drama and gossip, but please…..must all of the younger girls in the theater giggle and laugh every time a shirtless guy appears on the screen? There were more times than not that the giggles occurred during a serious and somewhat pivotal scene. Granted, this is not a movie that will garner an Academy Award, let alone a nomination, but the titters from the crowd just weren’t necessary.

That being said, I really didn’t mind all that much. Girls will be girls, and after all, there is something undeniably and unmistakably sexy about Robert Pattinson’s portrayal of Edward. I’d want to be Bella if I could have him opposite me (I love you, Ken!). However, don’t discount Taylor Lautner as Jake in this movie either. He certainly grew up between the two films, and in a very nice way that shows on screen. A lot.

The movie was really good, sticking close to the storylines developed by Stephenie Meyer in her books. Bella still annoys me, but I guess that’s just the nature of her character. The introduction of the werewolf pack was great; I’ll be glad to see more of those guys in the next film. And Victoria, the little that there was of her, was played perfectly. There were also some undertones of humor sprinkled throughout, but the laughter resulting from those scenes (mine included) was A-OK. :)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...