Sunday, August 30, 2015

Five Years {Riley}

My Riley-bean,

Today you turn 5. One whole hand! How did that happen? It seems like just yesterday that Daddy and I brought you home from the hospital. You were brand new, and we had no idea what to do. But we figured it out as we went along, the three of us together.

Now we are a little family of four, and I love how you are a part of that. You are silly and goofy, smart and thoughtful, moody and mopey, sweet and loving. You are all of those things. They are what make you Riley-bean. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Sure, sometimes I wish you wouldn’t hit your brother or get upset over the littlest thing or laugh when you should say you’re sorry. But I know you’re trying to figure out who you are and how to handle things. Newsflash, buddy, I’m still trying to figure the same thing out myself. You never stop learning. I learn from you all the time. Thank you for that.

You are so headstrong and stubborn. I know I’ve said that many times before, but it’s SO true. You are so steadfast in what you believe is right and you will argue your point adamantly. Even if you’re wrong, which you don’t like to admit.

You had many meltdowns over the summer when you didn’t do the right thing. That was tough for me to watch. I hate seeing you cry that hard over something so trivial. But I know it doesn’t feel trivial to you at the time. I need to try harder to remember that in the moment and treat you with the compassion that you deserve. You’re just trying to figure out all of your emotions. I get that. All I ask is that you try to let Joy drive more than Anger. Okay?

I love watching you get so excited about something or laugh at something your brother does or be amazed at something you see on tv. Seeing your smile and wonder and joy makes me so happy.

You love your family, and you love playing with your friends, especially Claire. The relationship the two of you have is so fun to watch. I hope it continues for a long, long time.

You love, Love, LOVE Legos and Star Wars right now. Your imagination with your Legos astounds me.

You love music and will often dance around like the crazy wonk potatoes that you are. I love watching you be silly and have a good time when a song you like comes on.

You don’t like going to school, and I hope that changes. Because you are SO smart. School is where you will learn so many things, not only from books but from your teachers and from your friends. Sorry, dude; you can’t always stay at home and play with your Legos.

I always ask you to be good, to be nice, and to be kind. I know it’s hard sometimes, but I can’t tell you how important it is to treat others the way you want to be treated. You will go so far in life if you are kind. And you are kind. Remember that. Even when you’re playing bad guys.

Four was a bit of a hard year for you. We had some trying moments, but we had a lot of fun, too. And we made some wonderful memories. Now I am excited to see what your fifth year brings. Daddy and I will be right there with you, and know that we’re always here for you if you need us. Let’s do this!

Happy, Happy Birthday, my sweet Riley-bean. Guess what? I love you. All the time.

Love, Mama

IMG_2474

1 comments:

QP said... Best Blogger Tips

Excellent, excellent letter to your smart, funny, amazing first-born, my PC. I've said it before: You and Kenny are the best parents any boy could wish to have. Thanks for the facetime with ma petite legume this morning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...