Thursday, March 6, 2014

2014 Carnival Season

We had a fun Mardi Gras this year, making it out to four parades over two weekends. It was Rory’s first Carnival season, and he seemed to like taking in all of the sights and sounds.

Our first two parades were Excalibur and Caesar. We actually left Rory at home with Nola for those since they rolled at night. Riley lucked out at both, coming home with a stuffed sword from one and a green spear from the other.

IMG_4723 IMG_4727

Caesar was Kate’s first ever night parade. She and Nopsi came with Kenny, Riley, and I while Aunt E and Uncle Jeff were at a function in Baton Rouge. She did pretty good most of the night, loving running around in the street before the parade arrived, dancing to the music from the marching groups, and looking at the bright lights on all of the pretty floats. But she was so very tired once all was said and done.


Aunt Lizzie, Uncle Doug, and Sarah rode in Tucks on Saturday, and we decided at the last minute to go down to the route. We found parking fairly easily, walked up to St. Charles, and sat down to eat lunch while we waited for the parade. This was Rory’s first official Mardi Gras experience.

IMG_4804 IMG_4817


IMG_4811 IMG_4847

Lizzie’s float passed us by so quickly. I took Riley up front while Kenny stayed in the back with Rory. The only problem was, we were on the wrong side. So I had to run up, cross over, and yell at them while in crowds of people. Banging on the side of the float helped, though: they saw us and gave us lots of fun throws, including a coveted fancy toilet brush, a beer barrel koozie, and striped Mardi Gras socks. Thanks y’all!

IMG_4820 IMG_4821

Like last year, Sunday was our main event: Thoth. Our friend Scott rides in it, and we usually go out to see him near the beginning of the parade, since it’s right near his house. Aunt E, Uncle Jeff, Kate, and Nopsi came with us this year.

photo 1 (1)

IMG_4827 IMG_20140302_124927_886


The weather was a little warm but there was no chance of rain, which was nice. The parade, however, was almost an hour late, which made for a really whiny wonk potatoes. He kept telling us he wanted to go home. I can’t say I blame him, but he ultimately hung in there.






Typically, Riley didn’t have much of an interest in the parade itself…..until we saw Scott. We got all kinds of fun things from him (stuffed animals and spears, hats, balls, beads, etc.) and I think that helped Riley get more into things.

photo 3 photo 4 photo 1

photo 2 (1)

IMG_3658 IMG_3662 IMG_3669

Rory, meanwhile, started to get supremely sleepy on account of not having much of a nap at all. Nopsi walked with him a little ways down the street and got him to sleep for about 40 minutes. The rest of us stayed up front and continued to rake in the throws. We ended up coming home with quite a haul.


IMG_4832 IMG_4835


Once the parade was finally over (45-minute delay with 40 floats!), Riley was ready to view his favorite part: the clean-up. We packed up our stuff and walked across the street to get a prime spot to watch. He would not let us leave until the last truck passed us.

photo 2 IMG_4844

Kate and Riley both passed out in their seats on our way home; it had been a long day. We didn’t do anything for Lundi Gras or Mardi Gras Day. We were too tired on Monday and the weather on Tuesday was absolutely miserable: very cold, windy, and rainy.

IMG_4850 IMG_20140302_152619_323

Oh, but did I mention that I got a bad sunburn on Sunday? Yeah…..I was putting aloe vera on the next day and then covering up with a sweater because the weather had turned that cold in 12 hours.


Sweating one day and shivering the next. Louisiana, y’all. Gotta love it.

A very Happy Birthday to Aunt Lizzie today…..we love you!


Lizzie said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you for my birthday wishes. I love you guys too! My voicemail was SO AWESOME!

LOVE and HUGS, Lizzie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...