Thursday, October 8, 2009

Recent Reads

reserve I finished The Reserve by Russell Banks a couple of weeks ago, but I cannot recommend it. The novel is set in the Adirondacks in the 1930s, about a private lake-side community for the very rich and the trials and tribulations they create for themselves. The characters are unlikeable, and Banks takes the plot down a road that I struggled to stay on, let alone understand the reasoning behind it. And perhaps he felt compelled to conclude this Depression-era story with tragedy, but it all felt a little forced to me. Not sure I'll attempt to read another one of his!

I moved on to re-read one of my favorite series on account of the latest book (number 7) being released on September 22. I was introduced to the Outlander saga (penned by Diana Gabaldon) by a friend of mine in graduate school, and I instantly became hooked on the complex tale of Claire Beauchamp and Jamie Fraser. For those who have never heard of it, my only words of advice are to immediately drive to your nearest bookstore and buy it! Be forewarned: you may not want to do anything else besides read once you start this series. Gabaldon has a way of drawing you into her world before the first chapter ends. Also, after a stellar and completely captivating first book (Outlander), the second in the series (Dragonfly in Amber) is a bit slower in pace. Some may argue that this is needed on account of the intensity with which Outlander concluded, but that doesn't make Dragonfly any easier to get through in some places. Trust me: stick with it and you won't be disappointed in the rest of the books.

gabaldon_outlander dragonfly-in-amber voyager drums_of_autumn fiery-cross breath_snow_ashes bone_cover

Since I have read Outlander twice and because I couldn't find my copy of Dragonfly in Amber, I picked the series back up with the third book, Voyager. It had been a long time since I last read any of the books, but it didn't take me long to get swept up into the story once again. So much happens that I want to remind myself of everything Gabaldon chose to include in her tale. I will have 3 more books to enjoy (Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, and A Breath of Snow and Ashes) before finally being able to pick up the newest installment, An Echo in the Bone.

What are you waiting for??? Get to that bookstore now!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...