Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Arts and Crafts


In the course of a conversation Kenny and I had on Saturday, we ended up deciding to take on a small project involving a piece of our outdoor furniture. I've had this metal stand since college, and the top of it is currently made out of wood which has warped significantly from being outside for over 7 years. Kenny suggested replacing the top with something like tile instead, and that's how this arts and crafts day all started. We went to Michaels yesterday to see what supplies we could find, and after another quick stop at Lowes, we had everything we needed to start redesigning our little outdoor table. We also found some decent yet cheap black frames at Michaels (along with purple and gold poster board for DIY matting) for our 6 LSU Baseball National Champions posters we've been needing to frame and hang. Kenny worked on framing while I tackled the mosaic. We bought two packs of mixed color glass pieces, and after much internal debate and hesitation, I had finalized my design. I spent the afternoon gluing the individual pieces of glass to a piece of Hardi board we got at Lowes, and it is currently drying overnight. The next step will be to grout between all of the spaces and then seal it to further protect the new tabletop from the elements. 

Kenny starting to frame
   
2 down, 4 to go.......looking good!
   
Hard at work mosaicking
   
The almost-finished product
  
I have to say I was a little scared to start because I didn't want to mess it up, but the mosaic actually turned out pretty good. Now I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that grouting goes well.....stay tuned!
    

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...