Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Night Out

I stopped at the theater on my way home from work on Thursday to buy tickets so we could be assured of seeing Harry Potter 6 that night. Kenny and I arrived almost a half hour early so we wouldn't be stuck sitting in the front row. No need! Lafayette, Louisiana is not that big of a city, which was evidenced by the two of us being the first people in the theater. Oh, well! Better safe than sorry.

The movie was very good, well-done like the others. I probably should have skimmed the book before seeing it, though. I'm sure there were lots of little plotlines left out that I just don't remember since I haven't read the book in awhile. And at a few points throughout the movie, I was left wanting just a little bit more meat to the story. But Rowling packed so much into the novels that the movies would be 6 hours long if the filmmakers did so! However, I bet many fans would not mind a HP movie of that length, provided that built-in bathroom breaks were included in the screenings.

Ultimately, I enjoyed the latest installment. There were some incredible effects, and the scenes focused on the students' raging hormones were hysterical. But unlike the other movies, the end of this one left me wanting to jump right into the next one. I always knew the story would eventually be continued at the end of the first five, but all of those were wrapped up neatly enough to satisfy me for the meantime. Not so in this one! And we'll have to wait over a year until the first part of the final movie is released: it is currently set to come out on November 19, 2010.

As a side note, I just finished watching the ABC special "J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life" (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=8081011&page=1). Her story is an incredible one, and it was interesting to hear her discuss her past, her fame, and how much her personal life influenced her HP writing. She seems to have maintained a hold on a very down-to-earth personality, despite her renowned status and all that she's been through. I look forward to her next project (which she cryptically refers to as a "political fairytale") being published!

2 comments:

Jackie said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm going tonight!!!! YIPPEE!!!!

M'ville said... Best Blogger Tips

I saw the "life of Rowling" also. I, too, was taken by her still down-to-earth style. I was struck by her seeming appreciation for all that has come her way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...