Thursday, March 15, 2018

School Days: Second Grade Blanket Making at Sunrise {Riley}

The second graders took their third field trip to Sunrise Senior Living last Thursday. I just love this partnership, and this trip was probably my favorite. The kids and some of the residents worked together to make blankets that were then donated to Angel’s Place, a local organization that helps the families of children with life-threatening diseases.

How awesome is that?

IMG_5980

Ms. Paulin’s and Ms. Cobb’s classes came separately; Riley’s class was first. The students were divided into groups and each group worked on a blanket. The fabrics were all different and equally adorable, and all they had to do was tie strips of fabric together.

DSC_3576

DSC_3583

DSC_3611

DSC_3607

I walked around the room and snapped pictures, watching the young and the old work together and listening to the snippets of conversations they were having. It was so very sweet.

Sunrise1

Riley sat next to a resident named Sally. They didn’t talk much, just worked quietly next to each other. I asked if I could take a picture of the two of them, and they both agreed. Ms. Sally hugged my boy to her like he was her own. Heart = melt.

DSC_3581

DSC_3619

Once the blankets were all finished, we took some pictures and then everyone mingled until the kids had to catch the bus back to school. Riley got really shy and clung to me, stating that he didn’t want to talk to anyone. I gently but firmly pushed him toward Ms. Paulin and let her handle him. She walked over to another resident with him and they made small talk for a couple of minutes. Glad he stepped out of his comfort zone, even though he didn’t want to.

DSC_3620 DSC_3622

DSC_3626

DSC_3623 DSC_3625

DSC_3629

IMG_5981

This was such a nice way to spend a morning; I’m so glad I was able to go. And I think the kids really got that they were doing something good: spending time with older people who may not get many visitors and also giving back to their community in helping sick children.

This may have been their last trip to Sunrise, but I hope it’s not. However, the school year is way too close to being over: they only have about 9 weeks left until they’re out for the summer!

Heaven help me.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...