Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Dewey


A few months ago Mom told me about a book I just had to read. I only recently got the chance to do so, though, because so many of her other friends and family wanted to read it too! I suppose I could have gone out and purchased my own copy, but I waited patiently to borrow hers and just finished it last night. It's the true story of Dewey Readmore Books, the library cat of Spencer, Iowa. I am definitely what one would consider a "cat person," so I naturally enjoyed this book. Just eight weeks old, Dewey was dropped into the library's return book bin on the coldest night of the year in Spencer and left to die. He didn't, of course, until many years later (19, in fact!). Vicki Myron, the library's director and Dewey author, found him and took him in. Dewey lived in the Spencer Library for 19 years, and his tale is full of antics, sweetness, sadness, and mischief. It is such a heartwarming story, and I found myself smiling throughout much of the book. Perhaps you don't have to be a cat person to realize and appreciate the common effect an animal can have on so many people, even in the midst of hard times. Thanks, Mom, for the reading recommendation!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...